Personal Tractors, Backhoes, Lawn Mowers


The type of insurance you need for equipment like tractors, backhoes, and lawn mowers depends on how you use it and where you use it. Here are a few types of insurance coverage to consider:

  1. Farm Insurance: If you use your tractor for farming or agricultural purposes, you may want to consider farm insurance. This type of coverage can protect your tractor and other farm equipment against damage, theft, and other risks. It can also cover liability if your tractor causes property damage or bodily injury to others.
  2. Commercial Auto Insurance: If you use your tractor, backhoe, lawn mower or other equipment for business purposes, such as hauling goods or providing services, you might need commercial auto insurance. This coverage can protect your equipment against damage, theft, and accidents while it's being used for business activities. It can also provide liability coverage if you're involved in an accident that causes property damage or injuries to others.
  3. Personal Property Insurance: If you use your tractor for personal use and it's not used for farming or business, you might be able to add it to your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy as personal property. However, keep in mind that personal property coverage might have limitations, such as being only used on and in service of your property. So it's important to discuss the details with your insurance provider.
  4. Inland Marine Insurance: Inland marine insurance could be suitable if you transport your equipment to use it in various locations. This type of coverage can protect your equipment while it's in transit or temporarily stored away from your primary location.
  5. Liability Insurance: Large, motorized equipment can be dangerous and you definitely want to ensure that you have liability insurance to protect you against if your equipment causes damage to someone else's property or results in injuries to others. Your homeowner or renter's policy may cover you for liability if you only use this equipment on personal premises, but you may need farm insurance, commercial auto liability, or commercial general liability otherwise.

When considering insurance for your personal mobile equipment, it's essential to discuss your specific needs and usage patterns with an insurance professional. They can help you determine the appropriate coverage based on how you use the equipment and the potential risks involved. Keep in mind that insurance requirements can vary by location and situation, so consulting with an expert is the best way to ensure you have the right coverage in place.

← Back to Personal Insurance Overview